22nd February 2010: Amend to how your personal information may be used
24th November 2010: Amends to marketing opt in opt out provisions
6th July, 2011: Update to how personal information may be used
14th March, 2012: Addition of Live Chat clause to What personal information do we collect from you and how
7th November 2014: Update to how card details are saved and deleted
Date last revised: 14th March, 2012
- Legal purchase age
- Types of information collected
- Information that you provide by filling out forms on the Site. This includes information you provide when you register to use the Site; subscribe to any services offered on the Site including but not limited to interactive services (such as blogs, chat rooms, message boards, or other user forums); enter a competition or promotion sponsored by THE OUTNET; complete a survey; or report a problem with the Site;
- Your correct date of birth, which we may require that you submit accurately to ensure that you do not access the Site if you are not of a legal age to purchase items offered for sale or giveaway on the Site;
- Any information you may provide when you contact us or send us a correspondence;
- Details of any transactions you carry out through the Site including the placement of any orders by you; and
- Details of your visits to the Site including, but not limited to, your computer?s IP address, password information, page interaction information, traffic data, location data, weblogs, and other data about the resources that you access.
- What personal information do we collect from you and how?
THE OUTNET collects personal information in several ways when you place an order or register for a service offered by THE OUTNET. By registering, you are consenting to the collection of your personal data. If an order is placed with us, we need to hold personal information including your name, email address, phone numbers, home address, shipping and credit card billing address(es) so that we can process and fulfil your order. We also collect and record the card details of registered customers to make shopping at THE OUTNET even quicker. Saved card details will never be shared with third parties and will only be used to process your order, using our payment partner's systems. More details on saved card details can be found in our FAQs. Additionally we may also obtain information as a result of authentication or identity checks. Sometimes we may ask for your telephone number. This number may be given to our courier for delivery services. These details allow us to process your order and to let you know the status of your order.
In addition, our Live Chat provider stores all chat conversations for 13 months. These transcripts are only accessed by THE OUTNET for training purposes so we can enhance the service we provide. To receive a copy of your chat conversation simply request this when exiting Live Chat or contact our customer care team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can call +1 888 968 8638* or 1 800 729 187 free from Australia. *Calls from outside the US will be charged at international rates.
We may use information from cookies for the following purposes:
- Traffic monitoring, for example, the IP address from which you access the Site, the type of browser and operating system used to access the site, the date and time of your access to the site, the pages you visit, and the Internet address of the website from which you accessed our Site;
- To recognize repeat visitors for statistical/analytical purposes; or
- Anonymous tracking of interaction with online advertising, for example, to monitor the number of times that a banner ad is displayed and the number of times it is clicked.
We may connect the information that we collect through cookies with other Personal Information that you provide to us. Such purposes are:
- To customize or personalize your experience of the Site; for example, so that we can greet you on the site by name;
- For transactional purposes, such as credit card sales; or
- To monitor your use of the Site in order to make our communications with you as relevant as possible; for example, by sending you email communications relevant to the parts of the Site that you visit most often or by letting you know about features of the Site that you have not accessed previously.
We may compile and report to third parties (such as advertisers) aggregate statistics about our users in terms of numbers, traffic patterns and related site information. If you choose not to receive cookies, you may still use most of the features of our website, including the ability to purchase items.
- How personal information may be used, including anyone it might be shared with
THE OUTNET may use your Personal Information for the processing of orders, payments and to provide you with a personalized shopping experience. We will also use your details to fulfil and deliver your orders and manage your account. Personal information that you provide may be disclosed to a credit reference or fraud prevention agency, which may keep a record of that information. Your personal information may also be shared with other trading divisions within the NET-A-PORTER GROUP. Where there is a legal obligation to do so, we may disclose your information to any relevant regulatory body.
When you register with THE OUTNET, you will be asked if you would prefer not to subscribe to our update service. If you choose to opt-out for this service, we will not send you alerts for new products, features nor enhancements; special offers; upgrade opportunities; contests or events of interest. However, if you choose to receive our emails from time-to-time we will use the information you provide to promote the products and services of our business partners or other companies within the NET-A-PORTER GROUP, via email or direct mail. We do collate information about Site traffic, sales, most wanted list, and other commercial information which we may pass on to third parties but this information does not include any information which can identify you personally. We strive to limit use of your information to those offers that we think you would appreciate receiving. Finally, we may use your Personal Information for our internal marketing and demographic studies, together with non-personal data to monitor customer patterns so we can consistently improve our site design to better meet our visitors' needs. If we change our policy on disclosure to others, we will inform you and give you the choice of opting out.
In addition to disclosures identified in the purposes above, from time to time we may disclose Personal Information to:
- Our service providers and subcontractors, including our affiliates, retained to perform functions on our behalf or to provide services to us, such as warehousing and delivery; marketing and advertising; data processing; software development; website hosting and management; information technology and office services; legal, accounting, audit and other professional service providers; and further provided such service provider does not collect, use or disclose the personal information for any purpose other than to perform such functions or to provide services to us or as otherwise required by law;
- Unaffiliated service providers with whom THE OUTNET may subcontract, including website hosting companies, fulfillment companies and other third party service providers;
- The prospective seller or buyer of THE OUTNET's business or assets, including where THE OUTNET or substantially all of THE OUTNET's assets is acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
- Opt-in and opt-out provisions
When you register, you will be given the option to opt-out of subscribing to our regular update service.
Alternatively you can change your email preferences or opt out of all emails by logging into My Account. To opt out of the direct mail service or updates, please contact Customer Care at +1 888 968 8638 or send an email to email@example.com. It is not our current policy to share our customers' personal details with third parties other than as stated herein.
Should you choose to have your name and personal data removed from our database altogether, you can do so by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at:
THE OUTNET, c/o Customer Care, The NET-A-PORTER GROUP LLC, 100 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 1001, USA.
- How you can access and, if necessary, change the personal information THE OUTNET maintains
If for any reason you are concerned that the personal information held by THE OUTNET is not correct, please visit the website and, after logging into the site using the 'Sign In' menu on the home page, your personal information will be made available for review and change in the 'My Account' section. Only you or, upon your request, a Customer Care advisor may access your personal data from the website using your password and User ID. Information may be changed online within My Account, Address book, and My Emails. You can change or delete saved credit card details each time you make a purchase. You will also be able to delete saved credit card details by adding or editing a shipping/billing address. If you prefer, you may contact us by email at email@example.com and we will amend your personal details.
- Safeguarding your personally identifiable information
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as a part of a registration scheme or a security procedure to enable you to access certain parts of the Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. In particular, you should not share your password with anyone who is not of legal age to enter into contracts and purchase goods in the country or other territory in which you are located or are accessing the Site or to anyone in a country or other territory where use of the Site is not permitted.
We will only collect personally identifiable information to the extent deemed reasonably necessary to serve you in view of our legitimate business purposes as set out above, and we will use our best endeavors to maintain appropriate safeguards to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of the information you have provided us with. When you place an order or access your account information, we use a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption which encrypts your information before it is sent to us to protect it from unauthorized use. In addition, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that third party business partners to whom we transfer any data will provide sufficient protection of that personal information. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of the data you transmit to the Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use reasonable efforts to try to prevent unauthorized access.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your email address, we may notify you by email.
- Where and how to ask questions or file
- Your consent